Social Services is mandated to do the following activities;
SOCIAL SERVICES PROJECTS
- To conduct an organizational capacity assessment of projects and programmes under the UMSC
- To develop funding proposals for addressing specific needs of the marginalized and disadvantaged Muslim groups;
- To study donor trends and identify areas where UMSC has comparative advantage and need for possible support;
- To develop and implement an organizational development plan to address identified gaps in UMSC projects and programmes;
- To coordinate all welfare projects and programmes under UMSC;
- To contact and make referrals to other agencies and organizations for support;
- To be responsible for registration and monitoring of all Muslim organizations in the country.
HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT
- Health (Health Services and Institutions as well as community led total sanitation, HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Non-communicable Diseases prevention, Immunization and Maternal Health)
- Manages all the health facilities through its technical arm Uganda Muslim Medical Bureau (UMMB)
- Environmental conservation, protection and sustainability.
AGRICULTURE, TRADE, TOURISM
- Promoting and enhancing modern agriculture focusing on value addition.
- Enhancing increased incomes and wealth creation in the Muslim community
- Enhancing the trading capacity of Muslim Community.
- Enhancing faith-based Tourism in Uganda.
POVERTY ERADICATION PROGRAM
Capacity building in sustainable and diversified income generating ventures
MICRO FINANCE PROGRAMME
- Promote collective, unified savings, credit and investments cooperative Societies.
- poverty eradication through capacity building in sustainable and diversified income generating ventures
- provision of consolidated financial pool for sustainable development.
- provision of startup capital, financial experts, equipment, materials, skilled managers & time resources.
HUMAN RIGHTS, CONFLICT RESOLUTION RECONCILIATION
- Promotion of peaceful co-existence
- Protect the rights and Empower PWDs, Vulnerable Children, Refugees, Internal Displaced People (IDP), Women, and elderly economically socially and politically to enable them to live to their full potential without marginalization.
- Promotion of Human Rights through UMSC structures.
ORPHANS AND VULNERABLE CHILDREN (OVC)
- Identification and registration of OVC’s to ease mobilization, advocacy and promotion of stabilization and settling of OVC’s
- Promotion of special parental like care and welfare support and other facilities.
- Child-welfare, elderly, needy, refugees, internally displaced persons, the people with disability, and other vulnerable group programmes;
- Promote collective, unified savings, credit and investments cooperative societies
- Startup and consolidated capital pool to equip the Muslim community with financial literacy and discipline for sustainable development.
- Documenting and creating a national database of Muslim families for social activities follow up and community outreaches.
POVERTY ERADICATION PROGRAMME (WEALTH CREATION)
- Capacity building in sustainable and diversified income generated ventures of self-help, massive mobilization and sensitization of communities through seminars, workshops, conferences among others.
- Promoting collective and unified startup capital and promote financial literacy and discipline among the Muslim community through mass mobilization, awareness creation and promotion of Muslim founded saccos, microfinance and other institutions of a similar nature.
POPULATION PROGRAMME (MUSLIM CENSUS)
- To establish a national database of Muslim families and communities.
- Come up with a detailed number of Muslim families indicating number of; Women, Men, Children below five years, 18 years above as well as the Elderly, disabled, widows and widowers.
DISABLED, ELDERLY AND NEEDY PERSONS
To sensitize the Muslim communities on the promotion of co-existence with vulnerable persons like the disabled.
- To empower PWDs economically socially and politically to enable them to live to their full potential without marginalization.
- Consolidate healthy life for elderly and promote their Rights and Dignity.
- Avail or prompt emergency relief to special Humanitarian needs i.e. needy persons, prisoners, Refugees, Sick etc.
COORDINATE ALL MUSLIM ORGANISATIONS
- Coordinate the activities of Muslim Organizations in the country.
- To allocate areas of operations to different Organizations.
An affiliate registration of all Muslim NGOs, Companies, Associations, and CBOs in the Country.
COLABORATIONS AND COORDINATIONS WITH GOVERNMENT AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS/AGENCIES
- To collaborate and coordinate with Government Ministries and Agencies and other International Organization on matters of welfare of the Muslims in the country and beyond.
- Work on grants to be supported by Government and other International Organizations for the wellbeing of Muslim communities in Uganda.
Fact File of Secretary for Social Services
MR. MUHAMAD ALI ALUMA is the Secretary for Social Services at Uganda Muslim Supreme Council (UMSC), a Lawyer with Masters in Law (LLM) and Lecturer at Islamic Call University College (ICUC) which is under UMSC.